40 Things I Love
This might get weird. Because…me.
Sometimes things come into your life at the right time. My friend, Bonnie Barton, gave me an amazing gift this week. She tagged me in something I probably would have rolled my eyes at had she not caught me in the 32 seconds of hopefulness I had last week.
I will tell you. Last week has crushed my soul. Ground it up like an avocado for guacamole in a molcajete.
Sometimes you need a minute. I’m taking a minute. I’m going to breathe in and breathe out and let the world be beautiful for a minute.
I’m going to write something I don’t care if anyone reads. This one’s for me. *high fives self.
I’m digging deep on this. I’m going to get freakishly specific. And shit’s gonna get weird.
- Dave Grohl’s Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335
- Throwing a waded up piece of paper in the trash can and making a basket
- A man that smells like that perfect mix of cologne and soap and manliness
- When Brandy Strange and I say the same thing at the same time
- “The Story” by Brandi Carlile.
6. When my fluffy Chihuahua turns herself around so she’s sleeping with her head on my pillow like she’s human and I get to hold her like she’s a stuffed animal.
7. When something reminds me of a poem and I spend 20 minutes searching the house to find it so I can sit and read it
8. Fresh, clean sheets and covers on a Sunday evening
9. Those times when I feel like going out in a short summer dress, tall sandals and a great tan
10. Taking a scoop of peanut butter out of the jar and dunking it in a bag of chocolate chips
11. Anything that smells like a spa. I mean it.
12. When he calls me “Sparky”
13. The Irish Goodbye
14. When I can identify every varietal in a red blend
15. Midnight in Paris
16. The way Amanda Shires looks at Jason Isbell when they perform “Cover Me Up”
17. That one time, in my early 30s, while on vacation in Mexico, that my girlfriends and I hired a 22 year-old wrestler from San Diego State University to be our cabana boy and fetch us drinks all day while we called him “Armando.”
18. In Williams, Arizona there is a midget cab driver named Merle the Pearl
19. A nice mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich. When the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe. So perky. I love that.
20. That moment when you’re so hot and tired and you step into the shower with your ice cold shower beer
21. Dropping the phrase “douche canoe” in a board meeting
22. When you manage to maneuver your meal so the last bite is the perfect ratio of everything
23. That twenty minutes right after getting your hair done when you feel like a super model
24. The way babies’ heads smell
25. The absolute joy and satisfaction of taking your bra off after a long day
26. Edith Piaf’s “Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien”
27. When Nuke LaLoosh knows Annie’s in her house because he can hear that crazy Spanish lady singing
28. The smell of fresh cut grass that someone other than me has cut
29. Finding yourself sitting at a bar in a restaurant next to an old guy with great stories
30. Finding the book you’ve been waiting to read in the clearance section
31. Converse sneakers
32. A perfectly made Sazerac
33. Sometime around August, finding a box of Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies that you hid from your family in the freezer
34. The opening scene of Bottleshock that pans over the Napa Valley
35. Finding roses in the “Treat Yo’ Self” bucket at the grocery store
36. The feeling of satisfaction that comes with peeling an apple in one continuous cut
37. Buying planners. Not necessarily using them. Buying them.
38. Walking for a long time, alone, in the desert
39. Getting the first spot in the parking lot
As my friend, Martha Jean, would say: That’s it. That’s the list. I’m not going to tag anyone. If this is meant to find you, it will. If you’re meant to do it, you will.